Ukusikisela kuzoboniswa ngemva kokuthayipha endaweni yokusesha. Sebenzisa imicibisholo ebheke phezulu naphansi ukuze ubuyekeze. Sebenzisa u-enter ukuze ukhethe. Uma okukhethile kungumusho, lowo musho uzothunyelwa ekusesheni. Uma ukusikisela kuyilinki, ibhrawuza izokuya kulelo khasi.
Umbungazi Wokokuzithokozisa

Okokuzithokozisa okubandakanya ezokuthutha e-Hawai'i

These information pages can help you get started in learning about some of the laws and registration requirements that may apply to your experiences on Airbnb. These pages include summaries of some of the rules that may apply to different sorts of activities, and contain links to government resources that you may find helpful.

Please understand that these information pages are not comprehensive, and are not legal advice. If you are unsure about how local laws or this information may apply to you or your Experience, we encourage you to check with official sources or seek legal advice.

Please note that we don’t update this information in real time, so you should confirm that the laws or procedures have not changed recently.*

Do I need a special license or permit to drive my guests to and from my experience if I do not charge them for the ride?

Generally speaking, you do not need a special license or permit to drive guests unless you are providing a tour, transportation or sightseeing experiences, picking up guests from a public airport, or are charging guests for the ride.

In order to drive guests without getting an extra license or permit, you:

  • Cannot charge them for the transportation that you provide (either directly or by adding the cost of transportation to your experience fee);
  • Should clearly state in your listing that transportation will be provided “at no charge”;
  • Transport guests directly to or from the experience in non-commerical vechicles that you or an employee operate;
  • Cannot pick up guests from public airports; and
  • Do not provide tour, transportation or sightseeing experiences.

Please note that providing transportation in conjunction with tour or sightseeing experiences, including transportation between visitor attractions, could subject you to regulation by the Hawai‘i Public Utilities Commission (“Hawai‘i PUC”). Including a tour fee for a tour that has a transportation component may be considered charging for transportation and could subject you to regulation.

If you want to charge your guests for the ride, you need to get special licenses.

Example: Leilani offers her guests lessons in traditional Hawaiian arts and crafts and wants to give them a free ride to/from the experience in vehicles she or an employee operates. Leilani’s listing makes it clear that she will pick up guests who need a ride to her experience at no extra charge to the guest. Leilani does not need special licenses (aside from her regular Hawai‘i driver’s license) to do this.

If I want to charge for the ride, do I need a special license or permit to drive guests to and from my experience?

Yes. If you are charging your guests for transportation on public highways in Hawai‘i, you have to obtain a certificate or permit issued by the Hawai‘i Public Utilities Commission (“Hawai‘i PUC”). authorizing the transportation.

In order to get a permit to transport passengers for compensation ($30 fee), you:

  • Must be 21 years old;
  • Have to submit a Tax Clearance Form;
  • Must show registration of the vehicle that will be used to transport guests; and
  • Have to demonstrate fitness, willingness, and ability to provide transportation.

The PUC’s website provides additional information and instructions to file a complete application. Note that once you file your application, receiving a permit to transport passengers for compensation may take several weeks or months.

Picking guests up at the airport: Note that a permit to transport passengers for compensation does not guarantee that you will be allowed to pick up guests at the airport. Pickups from public airports in Hawai‘i require a permit issued by the Hawai‘i Department of Transportation (“HDOT”). This is true even if it is a gratuitous or courtesy pickup associated with the business activity. The HDOT provides application procedures for potential permittees. Many airports have their own requirements for transportation providers, such as background checks, vehicle inspections and placards. Be sure to check with the airport before making an airport pickup, even if you have a Hawai’i PUC permit.

Site-specific limitations: Various sites and public lands may have specific limitations on vehicle size, access and other restrictions. Specific sites can provide more information on any applicable limitations.

Example: Jenna wants to offer her guests a ride to/from her experience kayaking in the ocean off Waikiki Beach. Jenna charges each guest $10 for the ride. Since Jenna is charging guests for transportation to/from Waikiki, she will need to obtain a permit to transport passengers for compensation in advance. To do so, she will need to submit her application to the Hawai‘i PUC and pay the $30.00 application filing fee.

How else can I help my guests get to and from my experience?

How you handle your experience and your guest’s transportation needs is entirely up to you. Options include:

  • Give them a ride for free directly to or from the experience in accordance with the limitations discussed above.
  • Charge them if you have the necessary licenses.
  • Get them a Lyft, Uber, taxi or other Hawai‘i PUC-licensed vehicle with a licensed driver. Guests should pay for such transportation directly. You should not include such transportation costs as part of your experience price.
  • Ask your guests to get their own transportation to and from your experience.

*Airbnb is not responsible for the reliability or correctness of the information contained in any links to third party sites (including any links to legislation and regulations).

Ingabe le athikili ikusizile?
Thola usizo ngokubhukha kwakho, i-akhawunti, nokunye.
Ngena ku-akhawunti noma uvule i-akhawunti